Sunday, October 31, 2010

ADHD Resources

The following book list is recommended by Dr. Douglas Marlow, Ph.D, a licensed Clinical Psychologist in the state of Oregon (and the doctor who helped the most last winter, when I felt I was at the bottom of my resources & strength.)

* The ADHD Parenting Handbook,  by Colleen Alexander-Roberts
* Healing ADD,  by Thom Hartman
* The Survival Guide for Kids with ADHD,  by John F. Taylor
* Driven to Distraction, (more for adults) by Ed Hallowell
* Taking Charge of ADHD, by Russel Barkly

More Great Books:

"ADHD And Me: What I Learned From Lighting Fires At The Dinner Table," by Blake Taylor, New Harbinger Publishers, 2008. (This author is currently in college & writes from a "kid's perspective - I'll update when I finish. Looks to be excellent!)

"Project June Bug," by Jackie Minniti, iUniverse Inc., 2008 (I have just ordered this after reading RAVE reviews online. --I'll update after reading!)

"Cory Stories," by Jeanne Kraus, 2005 Magination Press
This fun paperback book is especially written for kids with tips for parents included. The author has 20 years experience in the classroom and this book was inspired by one of her sons.

I hope if someone has another exceptional ADHD resource to recommend, they'll mention it here. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog and I am thankful. We are in middle school HELL right now with a 13 year old very gifted boy with ADD. We are seeing a therapist and live in a rural area with few resources. The therapist had us read Smart but Scattered Teen by Richard Guare and Peg Dawson and I am currently reading Teaching Teens with ADD, ADHD & Executive Function Deficits. Looking for answers and trying desperately to figure out how to get the school to do what he needs. Always learning, forging on, hoping the next day is better than the past or at least that when it is not we learn how not to repeat it. Thanks.