Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Sneakin' & Lyin'

ADHD doesn't have a corner on lying kids. A real universal issue here and common at one point or another in the life of a child. However, these super-charged & impulsive kids have such a hard time thinking things through that the lying and sneaking around happen almost before they realize what they've done. Then they begin "covering" everything which buries them deeper in the problem. We've seen this catapult into the red-flag zone in recent months and our frustration isn't hidden from our son. We've talked. We've prayed. I've cried. All I want with all my heart is for him to know how much we love and care for him; how much we will do to help him grow in positive ways. We want Bobby to make good choices on his own without any hazardous detours. Tall order but we have hope.

My heart goes through periods of calm but recently I've been overwhelmed by Bobby's sneakiness and lying. He's frustrated with this "in-between" stage called 13. Not a young child and not a young adult. Changes. Hormones. It's crazy around here but there is a whole lot of good stuff going on as well.  My son is smart, witty, handsome, curious and hilarious. He can take things apart--AND put them back together. Everyone loves his smile, especially me. Lots of good stuff here..... We're building up the strengths & trying to break down those weaknesses and one day we'll look back and see it was worth it all.

Bobby has pulled on my heartstrings for 13 years now. In spite of the challenges, I'm in this with determination. Bobby, some day you may read this story of our journey. I never write something I wouldn't want you to see. I write in truth and love. I hope you see that. I love you to the moon and back several times--and that is no lie!

No comments: